Dewani to be processed, charged in court

The honeymoon murder accused is due to arrive on South African soil early on Tuesday morning.

Shrien Dewani. Picture: Facebook.

CAPE TOWN - Honeymoon murder accused Shrien Dewani will be charged and processed in the Western Cape High Court in Cape Town on Tuesday morning.

Instead of being taken straight to a police station, he will be taken from the airport to the courthouse.

The 33-year-old British businessman is expected to be escorted by law enforcement officials and a nurse on his overnight flight from the United Kingdom to Cape Town this evening.

Dewani is accused of masterminding an alleged staged hijacking in Gugulethu, Cape Town, back in 2010 in which his wife Anni was killed.

He has fought against extradition attempts to South Africa for the past three years.

Dewani is due to arrive in the country early on Tuesday morning and make his first court appearance before midday.

Western Cape Justice Department head Hisham Mohamed says an accused is usually taken to a police station.

"He will be processed at the police section of the high court straight from the airport and then brought into the court. It will be one stop."

Three other men are already serving lengthy jail terms for their roles in the murder.


The media will not be allowed to take photographs of Dewani during his first court appearance.

Cameras will be allowed in court, but journalists have been ordered to stop snapping the moment Western Cape Judge President John Hlophe enters the room.

An accused is normally brought into the dock before the judge takes his seat.

But if Dewani and the judge arrive at the same time tomorrow, reporters won't be able to take any pictures of the accused.

Justice Department spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga says the media must respect Dewani's constitutional rights.

"Mr Dewani has constitutional rights, including the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. It is for this reason that there will be no provision for him to be photographed prior to his court appearance."

Meanwhile, Anni's uncle and brother earlier said the lengthy extradition process was killing them inside.

At one point during the press conference, Anni's brother broke down in tears as the whole extradition process was described as torture.

Anni's family intend flying to South Africa for the trial itself.

They say they have been overwhelmed by offers of free accommodation and restaurant meals from supporters in the Western Cape.

They thanked South Africans for the outpouring of generosity and support since the murder.