Chaos at Hout Bay harbour

Police are keeping a close eye on the situation after demonstrators closed off the entrance.

A general view of the Hout Bay harbour covered in mist from the Chapman’s peak road on the outskirts of Cape Town. Picture: AFP.

CAPE TOWN - Police are keeping a close eye on the area around Hout Bay harbour after a group of demonstrators blocked the area in protest of fishing permit allocations.

A fisherman was apparently assaulted by protesters earlier on Tuesday.

The police's Tembinkosi Kinana says the situation is under control.

"About 70 fishermen alleged to be without permits closed the harbour and assaulted other fishermen. We will continue to monitor the situation."

This is the second time this year disgruntled fishermen in the area have voiced their dissatisfaction in violent protests.

In February, demonstrators blocked the entrance to the harbour after two fishermen, who had been denied permits, presumably drowned when their boat capsized.

Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson said, "We cannot give every community permits."

At the time, she said the Western Cape was not the only province that fishing quotas were allocated to.

The department came under attack last month for its decision to drag Public Protector Thuli Madonsela to court.

The protector had recommended Joemat-Pettersson face disciplinary action for apparently not following proper procedures in the awarding of a tender.