A Twitter blast from the past for politicians
EWN takes a look at what local and international politicians said during their Twitter debuts.
JOHANNESBURG - To celebrate its eighth birthday, Twitter has launched first-tweets.com, a website that enables users to search their own account or those of others to find their first tweet.
Below are some of the first tweets by local and international politicians as they introduced themselves on the social media platform for the very first time.
is wishing she weren't such a slave to the whims of technology.
- Lindiwe Mazibuko (@LindiMazibuko) February 17, 2009
Democracy is flourishing in South Africa, thanks to the active participation of all citizens. It's wonderful. Vote 18 May!
- Jacob G. Zuma (@SAPresident) May 10, 2011
Counter-revolutionaries are now taking shots at me. Moloto was humiliated once; now he wants me to demolish him completely
- Julius Sello Malema (@Julius_S_Malema) February 24, 2010
I'm starting Conference with this new Twitter feed about my role as Conservative Leader. I promise there won't be "too many tweets..."
- David Cameron (@David_Cameron) October 6, 2012
- Helen Zille (@helenzille) February 11, 2009
Congratulations to US President-elect Barack Obama
- Vladimir Putin (@PutinRF_Eng) November 8, 2012
Youth unemployment is a global fear for our young people,with 210m unemployed;unjust order!
- @COSATU TODAY (@_cosatu) June 18, 2012
- Mamphela Ramphele (@MamphelaR) February 18, 2013
Greetings to the twitter community.From now I'll be twitting both privately and officially. This account will include lighthearted comments
- Thuli Madonsela (@ThuliMadonsela3) March 6, 2014
This is the official ANC information feed on Twitter. Follow us for updates on ANC news and events and links to related online content
- ANC Info Feed (@MyANC_) January 9, 2009
Just launched my blog for social change www.thejustcause.org - very excited about this initiative.
- Jay Naidoo (@Jay_Naidoo) March 25, 2010
I'm on Twitter, follow me!
- Derek Hanekom (@Derek_Hanekom) February 14, 2011
Thinking we're only one signature away from ending the war in Iraq.
Learn more at http://www.barackobama.com
- Barack Obama (@BarackObama) April 29, 2007