Pistorius's 'enthusiasm' for guns highlighted

The court on Monday heard the athlete cancelled a R52K firearm order a month after killing Steenkamp.

Oscar Pistorius is escorted into High Court in Pretoria ahead of his murder trial on 17 March 2014. Picture: Aletta Gardner/EWN.

PRETORIA - It emerged in court on Monday that murder accused Oscar Pistorius cancelled a more than R50,000 firearm order a month after he shot and killed Reeva Steenkamp.

Oscar Pistorius is escorted into High Court in Pretoria ahead of his murder trial on 17 March 2014. Picture: Aletta Gardner/EWN.

Sean Rens from the International Firearm Training Academy produced invoices when he was questioned in the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on Monday.

The state's witness is a firearm service provider, and assists and facilitates with firearm licence applications.

Two Smith & Wesson revolvers, two pump backs, shotguns and a civilian version of the assault rifle used by the police are listed on an invoice along with nearly 600 rounds of ammunition.

Pistorius had already paid R48,000 towards the R52,000 price tag for the firearms and ammunition.

Rens said on another invoice, the athlete also procured a semi-automatic shotgun and an updated modern version of the assault rifle listed on the previous invoice.

He said all the orders were cancelled a month after the shooting.

Click here to listen to Sean Rens's entire testimony.

Rens further testified that Pistorius correctly answered questions on a competency questionnaire, proving he understood the legality of using deadly force and the importance of identifying a target before opening fire.

In one of the scenarios in the questionnaire, Pistorius was asked about a situation in which armed men were in his home, but behind a closed security gate.

Pistorius answered that you should not shoot in this situation.

The 'Blade Runner's' friend Justin Divaris introduced the two men in May 2012 after the athlete expressed interest in buying a Smith & Wesson (S&W) 500 revolver.

Pistorius is accused of murdering Steenkamp at his Silver Woods Country Estate home in Pretoria East on Valentine's Day last year.

Reeva Steenkamp. Picture: Carte Blanche.

While the athlete claims he mistook Steenkamp for an intruder, the state claims it was murder.

The 27-year-old also faces gun-related charges for two separate shooting incidents, one in the Vaal and the other at a crowded Johannesburg north restaurant.

Pistorius pleaded not guilty to all charge s on day one of his trial.


Monday was another trying day for Reeva's mother June Steenkamp.

Pistorius greeted June for the first time since his murder trial started in the North Gauteng High Court on 3 March.

Reeva Steenkamp's mother,June reacts as crime scene photographs are shown during the murder trial of Oscar Pistorius at the High Court in Pretoria on 17 March 2014. Picture: Pool.

Today was her second appearance in court since the trial began.

June nodded her head slightly in response to Pistorius who softly greeted her as he made his way to the dock.

It was a brief but significant moment in light of June's previous comments in which she accused the athlete of avoiding her during the first day of his trial.

Pistorius's sister Aimee then joined Steenkamp and her friend.

She chatted quietly before Monday morning's proceedings began.

It's unclear what was said during the brief encounter between the three women, but it appeared to be an intimate exchange.

The exchange could be seen as an attempt by the Pistorius family to reach out to June.

June walked out of the courtroom during testimony from crime scene photographer Barend van Staden earlier on Monday.

Crime scene photographer Warrant Officer Barend van Staden testifies in the Oscar Pistorius murder trial on 17 March 2014.

At the time, photographs showing Pistorius covered in blood were displayed on television screens.

They were followed by pictures of blood spatter in the athlete's upmarket home.

Pistorius bowed his head and looked on the floor as many graphic images of the crime scene were shown to the court.

Van Staden was the standby photographer on the morning of the shooting and was called out to the crime scene.

He took the court on an in depth tour of Pistorius's house using hundreds of pictures he took after the fatal shooting.

Defence Advocate Barry Roux claimed van Staden took a "great number" of images when he arrived at the crime scene shortly before 5am on the day in question.

Barry Roux at the High Court on 11 March 2014. Picture: Pool.

He said the warrant officer did not include as evidence a photograph of the bottom of Pistorius's prosthetic legs or any photos from the garage area.

Roux claimed the exclusion of some images would point to tampering on the part of police.

But prosecutors denied the defence's claim.

The advocate also scrutinised the way van Staden handled Pistorius on the day of the shooting.

The matter will resume on Tuesday.