Pistorius trial: Guard to continue testifying
Barry Roux indicated that he'll present evidence to contradict Pieter Baba's version of events.
PRETORIA - Silver Woods Country Estate security guard, Pieter Baba, who claims murder accused Oscar Pistorius told him everything was fine on a phone call moments after he shot his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, will return to the witness box this morning.
Picture: Carte Blanche
But the athlete's defence advocate Barry Roux indicated he'll present evidence to contradict the guard's version of events during cross-examination.
Week two of the 'Blade's Runner's' murder trial will start in the High Court in Pretoria today.
On Friday, Baba said the athlete called him back by accident and he could hear Pistorius crying on the other end of the phone.
Roux referred to Baba's first statement to the police, suggesting that Pistorius had actually told security that he was okay.
Before proceedings ended on Friday, Baba insisted that his version of events was correct.
Picture: Sky News
WITNESSES SO FAR
The state has so far called nine witnesses, including neighbours, restaurant owners and Pistorius's ex-girlfriend to the stand.
First witness, Michelle Burger, claimed she heard exactly four gunshots in the early hours of the morning last Valentine's day.
Charl Johnson, Burger's husband, says he heard two separate voices.
The defence argued that the couple drafted their statements together to incriminate the athlete.
Third witness Estelle van Der Merwe says she heard people talking loudly an hour before the shots.
Johan Stipp, another neighbour, told the court how he found Steenkamp's lifeless body when he arrived at the house shortly after he heard the gunshots.
Ex-girlfriend Samantha Taylor also took the stand saying Pistorius always carried a gun with him, fired his gun through an open sunroof of a car and shouted at her often.
The ANC Women's League says it supports Steenkamp's family and believes that justice will prevail.
The league's president Angie Motshekga says the law should take its course.
Oscar Pistorius greets members of the ANC Women's League in court. Picture: Pool
"That is a representation of what women experience in their homes. They live in fear and lock themselves in bathrooms. We will continue to go there and support them all the way."
PISTORIUS AD REMOVED
An Irish bookmaker was on Sunday forced to withdraw an advertising campaign in the UK featuring Pistorius after a record number of complaints.
The advert shows a photograph of Pistorius superimposed on a statue of an Oscar award.
Next to it, the ad states "It's Oscar Time. Money back if he walks."
The Advertising Standards Authority received more than 5,000 complaints and an online petition quickly gathered 122,000 signatures. Picture: EWN
Many were from women angry saying the campaign was making light of a woman's death.
The watchdog usually allows a campaign to run until an investigation into whether there had been a breach in the UK advertising code is complete.
However, it ruled the ad should remain out of all circulation in UK media until the investigation, which is being fast-tracked, is finished.
Get all the latest developments on the EWN Oscar Pistorius portal.
EWN video: An emotional first week