CT to take action against illegal protest ringleaders
The city says it will take action against those behind an illegal protest in the CT CBD last week.
CAPE TOWN - The City of Cape Town has revealed it will be taking legal action against the ringleaders behind a protest in the CBD on Thursday.
Thousands of protesters tried to make their way to the Provincial Legislature, despite not being granted permission by authorities.
Police moved in to make several arrests during the illegal protest in Cape Town on 27 February 2014. Picture: Siyabonga Sesant/EWN.
The group, linked to the Ses'kona Peoples' Rights Movement, has been calling for better housing and sanitation in informal settlements.
At least 12 people were arrested.
The city's JP Smith says, "Whilst the criminal prosecution is waiting to happen, the city is proceeding with civil litigation against the individuals. We are going to try and recover some of the money we have wasted cleaning up and picking up their mess."
He says they will be filing papers soon.
Protesters making their way towards Strand Street in Cape Town. Picture: via Twitter @Liezelv
"We will pursue the individuals, which includes the people who took part in the last illegal march. Some of the same people were involved in the previous illegal march and one of them is a student. We are keeping careful record of any other incidents that occur."