Theologo sentencing delayed

Lindon Wagner and Robin Harwood will now hear their fate on Wednesday afternoon.

Lindon Wagner and Robin Harwood arrive in court on 11 February 2014. Picture: Govan Whittles/EWN.

PALM RIDGE - Sentencing of the two men who killed Johannesburg teenager Kirsty Theologo has been postponed until Wednesday afternoon in the High Court sitting in Palm Ridge.

Argument in mitigation and aggravation of sentence were heard by Judge Geraldine Borchers as the families of both Theologo and her convicted killers filled the courtroom.

Theologo died from severe burns and a head injury in hospital a week after she was attacked on a hill near Linmeyer in 2011.

Theologo was burnt during a satanic ritual. Picture: Supplied.

The court heard that drugs and alcohol played a significant role in Lindon Wagner and Robin Harwood's decisions to carry out the ritual.

Defence lawyers argued that both men were the products of broken homes and had already shown some remorse for their actions.

Borchers noted that their belief that they would be rewarded for the sacrifice indicates they may have been living in a fantasy world.

But she questioned whether the men had shown true remorse for killing Theologo or only for the fact that they would now have to serve time in jail.

The defence has requested their jail terms for murder, attempted murder and assault of a friend of Theologo's run concurrently.

It's also understood the state will seek the maximum sentence.

Picture: Vumani Mkhize/EWN

Co-accused Harvey Isha was acquitted on all charges while Courtney Daniels received a six month suspended sentence for assault.

Harvey Isha collapses to his knees after being acquitted of all charges at the Theologo murder trial at the Palm Ridge Magistrates Court on 7 November 2013. Picture: Vumani Mkhize/EWN.

In court today, the judge also heard that the killers believed God's will led them to commit the murder.

Robin Harwood's lawyer says he has tried to rationalise what happened on the hill during the two years he's already spent in custody.

The 20-year-old believes God led him to carry out the ritual with the eventual aim of him becoming involved with the church.

It's understood Harwood and his co-accused have started preaching since their arrest.

But Judge Borchers questioned whether this might be a form of denial.

Harwood's family listened attentively in court while Theologo's mother Sylvia left the room on several occasions.