Fulham frustrates Man United

Fulham added to Manchester United woes when they forced a 2-2 draw on Sunday.

Manchester United's Juan Mata passes the ball during the English Premier League match against Fulham on 9 February 2014. Picture: Facebook.

LONDON - An injury-time goal from Fulham's Darren Bent inflicted more pain on champions Manchester United as the bottom club rescued a 2-2 Premier League draw on Sunday, adding fuel to the fire for manager David Moyes's critics.

Late strikes from Robin van Persie and Michael Carrick helped United cancel out Steve Sidwell's opener and evoked some of the never-say-die attitude that characterised former manager Alex Ferguson's long spell at the club.

However, the uncertainty that has plagued the new regime came back to bite them as Fulham substitute Bent headed in at the far post to nick a point in the 94th minute.

"Today was as bad as it gets," a shell-shocked Moyes told Sky Sports television.

"We dominated the game. Being one down was bad enough. The amount of attempts, chances and play we had was unbelievable. How we didn't win I have no idea.

"It's goals that count. You can have as much possession as you like. We should have scored more. You've got to try and keep making it work," said Moyes who took over from Ferguson in the close season.

It was a superb return to United, who stayed seventh on 41 points, for former assistant coach Rene Meulensteen as his Fulham side showed buckets of resolve to defend stoutly in the face of constant pressure.

It was a further blow to United's hopes of securing Champions League football next season and left them nine points behind Liverpool in fourth spot and six adrift of Tottenham Hotspur who beat Everton 1-0 with a goal from Emmanuel Adebayor.

It was the Togo striker's sixth goal in his last eight league matches.

Adebayor, who has been re-invigorated since Tim Sherwood took over as manager from Andre Villas-Boas in December, had looked isolated in attack as Tottenham laboured to create chances.

Adebayor controlled a long free kick forward from Kyle Walker on his chest, used his upper-body strength to hold off two defenders and drilled in a left-foot shot. It was Tottenham's first effort on target.

Everton continued to press but when referee Mark Clattenburg waved away a penalty appeal for an Etienne Capoue challenge on Seamus Coleman in stoppage time, they were condemned to their second defeat in their last three games.

"I am very happy for the team and winning the game was important for confidence," said Adebayor. "We kept calm, we knew we had the quality to make a breakthrough and we did it in the end."