IEC: ‘South Africans came out to register’
Preliminary statistics show that nearly 1.2 million people visited registration stations on Saturday.
JOHANNESBURG - Preliminary statistics have shown that nearly 1.2 million people across the country visited registration stations on Saturday.
With registration points now closed, South Africans who still need to register or re-register, have to visit their municipality during office hours from Monday.
The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) says heavy overnight rains in Gauteng, North West and the Free State caused various challenges at certain registration stations.
The IEC's Kate Bapela says two registrations stations in Northern Cape could not open at all this weekend due to flooding.
"The final voter registration has gone well so far. The turnout has been encouraging to the Electoral Commission.
"I'm hoping that South Africans will go out in their numbers, especially our young people."
Meanwhile, the ANC says it's happy with the turnout of residents in Zithobeni outside Bronkhorstspruit.
The ruling party was on a door to door campaign in the township on Sunday afternoon.
Residents have been up in arms for the past week, claiming they're being charged too much for water and electricity services which they say they've gone without for more than three weeks.
Angry protestors set fire to their local municipal buildings, three trucks as well as a resident's home.
The ANC's David Makhura has applauded residents for suspending the protests to allow for voter registrations.
"Today the situation is normal. We're here working to ensure that every South African, regardless of their political affiliation are allowed to participate in the registration process."