The Africa Report: 05 February
EWN's Africa Correspondent Jean-Jacques Cornish reports on the day's top African news.
FOOD SHORTAGE IN CAR
The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) on Monday made an appeal to the international community to take action to prevent "a human catastrophe" in the Central African Republic (CAR).
The appeal came after a statement that revealed that there was only one week of food supplies left in the capital of Bangui.
The UN World Food Programme received only $60 million of the $551 million it had requested to help hundreds of thousands of people in need.
Chief of UNICEF Anthony Lake urged countries that pledged $300 million for CAR during the African Union Summit last week in Addis Ababa to come up with the money quickly.
LIBYA SCRAPS CHEMICAL WEAPONS
Libya's Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdelaziz has said the country has destroyed all its chemical weapons.
Libya committed to getting rid of its chemical weapons in 2004 by signing the Chemical Weapons Convention.
Abdelaziz said, "Libya has become totally free of usable chemical weapons that might present a potential threat to the security of local communities, the environment and neighbouring areas".
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said this was "a significant milestone" after the announcement was made.
WITNESSES PULL OUT OF KENYATTA TRIAL
It is expected that the prosecution will request more time when the International Criminal Court convenes for Uhuru Kenyatta's trial today.
The prosecution issued a filing on 31 January that said key witnesses have pulled out of testifying in the Kenyatta trial because they have been threatened and intimidated to pull out.
(Edited By: Babalwa Nyembezi)