Makhobo: Resignation personal, confidential
The SABC CEO’s abrupt resignation triggered speculation.
CAPE TOWN - South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) CEO Lulama Makhobo on Tuesday said her reasons for leaving her post are personal and therefore highly confidential.
She only finished three years of her five-year contract.
Makhobo made the comments shortly after a meeting with Parliament's Portfolio Committee on Communications in Cape Town.
She was briefed on a skills audit done at the SABC.
Makhobo's abrupt resignation triggered speculation.
It is believed adverse findings by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's provisional report, which was leaked to the media, may have prompted her resignation.
But Makhobo says she is sure she will be vindicated when the final report is made public.
She has dismissed speculation that it has to do with the interim document.
It was claimed she had been fingered for improper conduct relating to the appointment of acting chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng and another staffer.
"I was not there during the period that they are reporting under, but let's wait for the outcome of the final report because that will finally put the matter to rest."
Makhobo says it has been a tough two years at the helm of a complex organisation and it is time to move on.