SABC CEO to step down
The state broadcaster says Lulama Mokhobo will leave her post at the end of February.
JOHANNESBURG - South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) CEO Lulama Mokhobo has resigned, the public broadcaster announced on Monday.
There has been speculation about her resignation since last week.
SABC spokesperson Kaiser Kganyago says it was a mutually agreed separation.
He says Mokhobo will leave her post at the end of February.
In a statement, the SABC said Mokhobo served the organisation diligently and requested she be treated accordingly.
"We expect all the stakeholders of the SABC to cooperate with her during this period and to give her the support that she requires. The reasons for her departure are personal and confidential."
On behalf of the board, Chairperson Zandile Tshabalala thanked Mokhobo "for her positive contribution to the organisation over the past 24 months" and wished her well for the future.
Minister of Communication Yunus Carrim said, "We are informed that this was a mutually agreed separation that was accepted by the board. Obviously, we are concerned about stability at the SABC and urge that vacant senior posts be filled as soon as possible".
The broadcaster says it will make further announcements in this regard in due course.
The CEO served only two years of her five-year term.
Mokhobo replaced acting CEO Robin Nicholson in January 2012.