Postal workers reject ultimatum

Spokesperson Lungile Lose says the Post office can’t bow to the demands of the workers.

The Booysens Post Office has been damaged allegedly by protesting workers. Picture: Supplied

CAPE TOWN - Hundreds of casual workers at the South African Post Office on Friday rejected calls to return to work.

The unprotected strike started earlier this week.

Post Office spokesperson Lungile Lose says the company is unable to bow to the demands of the workers for permanent positions.

He says such a move would result in massive financial consequences.

"We are still having talks with all the relevant stakeholders."

Services in Johannesburg and Pretoria have been hard hit, says Lose.

No major problems were reported in the Western Cape.