Tensions run high in Relela

Two people were allegedly killed by police officers during a violent protest.

FILE: Limpopo police are monitoring the Relela village outside Tzaneen where two people were shot dead yesterday. Picture: EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Limpopo police are monitoring the Relela village outside Tzaneen where two people were shot dead yesterday by officers during a violent protest.

National Police Commissioner Riah Phiyega will also be in the area today following the stand-off.

Police say around 2,000 protesters armed with petrol bombs and stones attacked a local station last night.

At least 15 officers were also injured during last night's clashes outside the local police station, with three in a critical condition.

Nineteen police vehicles were damaged and nine protesters arrested.

The satellite police station has apparently been completely destroyed.

The police's Hangwani Mulaudzi says the situation is still very tense.

"We are expecting the national police commissioner to visit the area today where there will be interventions to make sure the area is brought back to normality."

It appears the recent murder of a woman in the area and the subsequent death of a teenage boy in a protest has sparked the latest confrontation.

The latest deaths bring to eight the number of people killed just this month by police during violent protests.

Tshepo Babuseng was shot in the chest last week during a protest in Durban Deep allegedly by officer Malusi Maila.

Residents in the western Johannesburg mining area took to the streets to protest against an eviction order and a lack of RDP housing.

Maila was granted bail of R5,000 in the Roodepoort Magistrates Court yesterday.

He has officially been charged with murder and will return to court in March.

Charges of defeating the ends of justice against three of Maila's colleagues have been withdrawn while the state decides what new charges they will face.

Meanwhile, at least four men died during service delivery protests in Mothutlung in the North West earlier this month.

Residents were calling for the resignation of Mayor Poppy Magongwa and a number of others in the municipality's leadership structure to step down, claiming officials were involved in a corruption scandal which resulted in water cuts in the area.

Magongwa has since resigned from her post.