MEC condemns Bonteheuwel rape
No arrests have been made in connection with the rape of an 11-year-old boy.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Social Development MEC Albert Fritz on Wednesday condemned yet another attack on a child in Cape Town.
An 11-year-old boy from Bonteheuwel was raped at the weekend.
Police say no arrests have been made as yet in connection with the sexual assault.
The MEC says such heinous crimes against children can't be tolerated.
"We urge the police to do everything in their power to find the perpetrator as soon as possible. We will give the necessary counselling to the victim and assist the family cope with this trauma."
Child rights group Molo Songololo believes minors, especially those living in poorer and disadvantaged communities, are most vulnerable to sexual crimes.
The organisation's Patrick Solomons says, "Many children fear being raped but their worst fear is being raped and then killed."
Meanwhile, a nine-year-old girl who was sexually assaulted and then set alight in Delft is to undergo surgery.
A 27-year-old suspect appeared in court earlier this week where he abandoned his bail application.
The case will resume in March.