Delft rape case postponed
A 27-year-old man was arrested for raping a nine-year-old girl, setting her alight and leaving her for dead.
CAPE TOWN - The case against the man who is alleged to have brutally attacked a nine-year-old Delft girl has been postponed.
The 27-year-old suspect made a brief appearance in the Bellville Magistrates Court a short while ago.
Community members found the girl's body lying near the R300 at the weekend.
The site where the young girl's body was found. Picture: EWN.
She had allegedly been raped and was set alight but survived the ordeal and is currently in a critical but stable condition in hospital.
Courtroom G was packed, with many people, including journalists, turned away.
Police then used a type of gas to disperse the large crowd.
The matter was almost immediately postponed to Tuesday next week.
The little girl's mother left the courtroom with swollen eyes and tears could be seen streaming down her face.
Meanwhile those who arrived to show support to the family are now singing and dancing outside the court.
At the same time the Western Cape Community Safety Department has conducted a site visit to the area where the nine-year -old girl was raped and set alight.
Western Cape Community Safety MEC Dan Plato says he has been in contact with police about issues regarding the contaminated crime scene.
The rocky terrain where the girl was found on Sunday morning drew much public attention on Monday and saw people coming to view the site, which had not been cordoned off.
But the MEC says police officials have assured him all the necessary evidence has been gathered by the forensics team.
Police have confirmed to Eyewitness News the scene had been cordoned off on the same day the girl was found.