Vavi slams leak of charges against him

The Cosatu General Secretary says he’s being subjected to a trial by media through leaks.

FILE: Zwelinzima Vavi at a news conference in Johannesburg, 24 August 2012. Picture: Sapa.

JOHANNESBURG - Suspended Cosatu General Secretary Zwelinzima Vavi has slammed the leaking of the charges he is facing to the media.

He says this was done to conduct a media trial and this is a violation of his rights.

Vavi was suspended five months ago after admitting to having an affair with a young co-worker.

Nine unions supporting him have called for a special congress to deal with the claims against him.

His spokesperson John Dludlu says this is a pattern that has emerged over the last five months of Vavi's illegal suspension.

"The pattern has emerged where details of investigations conducted against Vavi are selectively leaked to the media to tarnish his reputation."

On Friday, the_ Mail & Guardian _newspaper reported that the Cosatu leadership had wanted Vavi to be fired without any notice.

The newspaper said it was in possession of the 33-page charge sheet served to Vavi last week.

The union veteran was suspended five months ago after admitting to having an affair with a young co-worker.