LRC: Dismantled shacks should be rebuilt
The LRC says the City of Cape Town illegally destroyed shacks in Philippi East.
CAPE TOWN - The Legal Resources Centre (LRC) has demanded the City of Cape Town rebuild shacks it allegedly destroyed in the Philippi East area.
More than 40 dwellings were broken down at the weekend after the city obtained a court interdict preventing squatters from moving onto a vacant piece of land.
The LRC's Sheldon Magardie claims the structures were occupied at the time.
The centre is also challenging the municipality's interdict.
Magardie says the matter will be heard later today.
"We've launched an application as a matter of urgency, for an order setting aside the interim interdict that was granted on Friday as well as for a spoliation order to compel the City of Cape Town to reconstruct the shacks that we say were illegally demolished."
On Monday, the city's Anti-Land Invasion Unit said it was forced to move onto the piece of land in Philippi East to dismantle the shacks.
The municipality said it was granted an urgent interdict late last week to have illegal occupants removed from the land.
The city's Mayoral Committee (Mayco) Member for Human Settlements, Tandeka Gqada, says officials are well within their rights.
"They were 47 incomplete structures. We didn't wait for the structures to be completed because once they are and someone is living there, as the city, we then have a duty to provide alternative accommodation."