Alleged Delft child killer denied bail
The 33-year-old suspect is thought to have buried his 18-month-old child alive.
CAPE TOWN - Cape Town police say a man has been denied bail after he allegedly buried his toddler alive.
The 33-year-old Delft resident is facing a murder charge and will re-appear in the Bellville Magistrates Court next week.
The murder allegedly took place at the man's home last week.
The police's Frederick van Wyk says the child was found buried in a shallow grave in the suspect's shack.
"On 9 January at about 3:30am, Delft police members arrested a 33-year-old suspect after the dead body of his 18-month-old baby was found buried inside his shack."
Meanwhile, a 27-year-old Northern Cape man, who allegedly killed his one-year-old son, has appeared in the Galeshewe Magistrates Court on a charge of murder.
Little Thabang Mokwena's burnt body was found wrapped in a towel in a ditch near his home in the Kimberley township on Sunday.
His father had reported him missing on Friday and was arrested shortly after his son's body was discovered two days later.
The National Prosecuting Authority's Mashudu Malabi says, "The case has been postponed to 25 January for a bail application".
Meanwhile, the Democratic Alliance has called on government to do more to fight the scourge of women and children abuse.
Several children have been killed in the last few weeks throughout the country.
Women, Children and People with Disabilities Minister Lulu Xingwana has been advocating for harsher sentences for rapists and child killers.