Brakpan: Jasmin murder case postponed

The man accused of Jasmin Pretorius’s rape and murder will undergo blood tests.

FILE: The man accused of Jasmin Pretorius’s rape and murder will undergo blood tests as investigations continue. Picture: EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The 23-year-old man accused of raping and killing his niece Jasmin Pretorius is expected to undergo blood tests as investigations into her sexual assault and murder continue.

He made a brief appearance in the Brakpan Magistrates Court this morning and his case has been postponed to March for further investigation.

Four-year-old Jasmin's body was found under a bed in her father's Brakpan home last month.

The accused did not indicate whether he has intentions of applying for bail, but has appointed a state lawyer to represent him in court.

This morning he appeared less emotional compared to previous court appearances.

Jasmin's father Morné took time off from work to attend court proceedings, but the little girl's mother Sasha-Lee Bam was not in court.

Minister for Women, Children and People with Disabilities Lulu Xingwana, who previously called for the maximum punishment if the accused is found guilty, attended proceedings for the first time today and said the 23-year-old suspect should be denied bail.

Jasmin was cremated a day after an emotional funeral service was held for her Brakpan on Wednesday last week.


Jasmin and her older sister were picked up by their father on Friday 27 December, from their home in Kempton Park.

The girls were meant to spend the weekend with their father at his Brakpan flat, which he shares with his mother, Isabel du Toit.

The accused and his boyfriend also live in the flat.

Morné left his two girls in the care of their grandmother and uncle on Friday night to go out with his new girlfriend.

He was supposed to return later that night, but didn't.

Du Toit told Eyewitness News that she went to bed with Jasmin's six-year-old sister while Jasmin was left to asleep alone in her father's bedroom.

When Du Toit woke up on Saturday 28 December, Jasmin was gone.

Jasmin's mother Sasha-Lee was only supposed to receive a phone call from Morné on Sunday 29 December to arrange when he would drop them off again.

But she received a call informing her that Jasmin had disappeared.

A team of volunteers and police officers began looking for Jasmin, who was later found under a bed in the flat.