Concern over SAPS 'hit list'
Bheki Cele revealed details about an apparent hit list containing names of senior officers at the weekend.
JOHANNESBURG - The police ministry has raised concerns about the manner in which an apparent hit list containing the names of senior members of the South African Police Service (SAPS) was revealed at the weekend.
Former national police commissioner Bheki Cele revealed details about the list at the funeral of Lieutenant General Layton Mzondeki 'Sean' Tshabalala on Saturday.
Tshabalala's body was found in his office at the SAPS headquarters in Pretoria last month.
Cele told mourners that Tshabalala felt victimised within the police and was number one on the list.
The alleged document also includes the names of Hawks boss Anwar Dramat and suspended acting crime intelligence head Chris Ngcobo.
Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa yesterday called an urgent meeting with all the people mentioned on the list to determine its legitimacy.
Mthethwa was attending an ANC national executive committee meeting in Mpumalanga when the details emerged.
He cut his trip short to meet with the officers mentioned on the list.
His spokesman Zweli Mnisi says the matter is very serious but the authenticity of the list is still being determined.
Mnisi says the manner in which it was brought to the police's attention is worrying.
"Why would people wait for the funeral to raise these matters? If anyone has a concern, whether it's HR or governance issues, there are proper channels to be followed."
Cele's successor Riah Phiyega told mourners at the service she had not heard of the list.
Tshabalala's death is being investigated.