R2K accuses SABC of censoring its journalists
R2K claims the SABC has banned their journalists from reporting on calls for Zuma to resign.
JOHANNESBURG - The Right to Know Campaign (R2K) claims the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has banned their journalists from reporting on calls for President Jacob Zuma to resign.
Calls for the president to step down were made by the National Union of Metalworkers South Africa (Numsa) during the closing of their special congress last Friday.
The R2K has labelled the apparent action by the SABC as the latest case of politically motivated interference in editorial meddling.
The say it makes a mockery of freedom of expression in the media and a complete mockery of the people South Africa.
R2K's Mark Weinberg said, "Journalists there had been told not to report on any calls for Zuma to resign."
But the national broadcaster hit back denying that they have censored their journalists from reporting on the calls by Numsa.
"When the calls were made SABC news carried all of those and that was last week. The R2K just jumps in without understanding what is going on."
Kganyago said the calls on the president to resign are old news now.