MEC defends CTICC design tender
Public Works MEC Robin Carlisle says there’s no need to cancel the controversial tender.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Public Works MEC Robin Carlisle on Thursday defended the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC)'s decision to continue with a controversial architectural design tender for its expansion project.
The contract for the multimillion rand deal was subjected to a forensic investigation after the losing bidders complained about the tender process.
Last week, the CTICC board announced it would continue with the project using the existing architectural team.
It said there were no sufficient grounds to cancel the contract.
Carlisle said it was astonishing that the city's forensic report recommended that the CTICC board consider cancelling the contract.
He says this is because legal experts found there were no grounds to reissue the tender.
"Once you've been through a process like that, you cannot simply say to everyone sorry we've got it wrong and we are going to do it all over again. First you have to go to the courts and ask for permission to restart."
Tempers flared in the provincial legislature on Wednesday when the CTICC matter was debated.
The ANC staged a walkout after one of its members was ordered to leave.