Ruling on WC tolls expected soon
The Western Cape High Court will rule on the matter on 9 December.
CAPE TOWN - The Western Cape High Court is soon set to make a ruling on the running dispute between the City of Cape Town and the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral).
The council approached the courts in a bid to interdict the agency from pushing ahead with plans to toll the N1 and N2 Highways through the Winelands.
The city succeeded with its application in May.
At the time, Sanral was ordered to hand over documents related to the project.
But the council says it has been forced to go back to court after Saral sent "largely irrelevant" documents.
Legal teams for Sanral, the government and the City of Cape Town met in the chambers of Western Cape Deputy Judge President Jeanette Traverso on Thursday.
The city's Brett Herron says the judge is set to rule on the matter on 9 December.
He said he cannot discuss what happened in the chambers as it is confidential.
While government has given the tolls the green light, the Democratic Alliance-led city is fiercely opposed to the project.
It is likely to become a hot issue in the run up to the general elections in 2014, as has been the case in Gauteng.
The controversial e-tolling system was launched in that province earlier in the day.
This despite widespread condemnation from civil society groups, unions, opposition parties and the public.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu), a member of the tripartite alliance, labelled the day as "Black Tuesday".
It once again called for mass mobilisation against the tolls.
The trade union federation's Dumisani Dakile says today is the day government refused to listen to its people.
"It represents cadres who've become power drunk and who believe they can do as they wish. We are planning a number of protests, which will be unleashed in the New Year as part of our programme in ensuring that we are defying this system."