Arrested Hawks will go to court with Krejcir

Two Hawks officers arrested in the Krejcir case will stay in jail until their court appearance.

FILE: Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir.

JOHANNESBURG - Two members of the Hawks have been remanded to a police cell where they will remain until they appear in court with Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir and his co-accused Desai Luphondo on Monday.

The two were arrested on Tuesday by a multi-disciplinary task team investigating crimes linked to Krejcir.

Warrant officers Jeff Nthoroane (46) and Samuel Maropeng (41) made a brief appearance in court yesterday.

Maropeng, who goes by the nickname 'Saddam', is believed to have a close association with the Czech fugitive.

It's also been suggested that he's being investigated for the gangland style hit on Sam Issa in Bedfordview last month.

Both Maropeng and Nthoroane are based at the East Rand Organised Crime Unit under the controversial Colonel Frans Steyn.

Police said they can't rule out the possibility of further arrests in connection with Krejcir's case.

Last week, Steyn confirmed he received a R400,000 loan from a company affiliated to the Czech businessman.

Krejcir was arrested on Friday, and the Hawks claim to have a strong case against him.

He and his alleged accomplice Desai Lupondo appeared in court on Monday on charges of kidnapping and attempted murder, with an alternative charge of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

The charges relate to a case opened in June.

The South Gauteng High Court granted Krejcir an order to be moved to a private hospital.

Failure to do so could lead to organ failure and cardiac arrest.

Krejcir's arrest comes as he fights battles on a number of fronts, with police circling in and public frustration growing.

It is alleged that he arrived in the country six years ago using a fake passport.

Four of his associates have been killed in the past month.

Veselin Laganin and Sam Issa were killed in two separate incidents in October, while Ronny Bvuma and Jan Charvat were killed when a bomb went off at Krejcir's Money Point shop on 12 November.

In July, he survived a bizarre assassination attempt when remote-controlled shotguns opened fire on him from behind the number plate of a parked car outside the same shop.

The South African Revenue Service has frozen his assets and a multi-disciplinary task team has been investigating multiple underworld murders he has been linked to.

Krecjir is also due to appear in court next week to fight ongoing attempts to extradite him to his home country where he has been charged in absentia for money laundering.