Zuma urges drivers to obey rules

The president has sent his condolences to the families of those killed in a Limpopo bus accident.

The bus involved in the deadly Limpopo crash that claimed the lives of 11 people. Picture: @LizSCrisp/Twitter.

JOHANNESBURG - President Jacob Zuma on Friday sent his condolences to the families of the 11 people who died in Friday morning's bus accident in Limpopo.

A further 47 people were injured when a bus collided head-on with an oncoming car on the N1 highway.

According to the preliminary investigation, the bus driver overtook the barrier line and crashed with a sedan.

Six people remain in a critical condition in hospital.

Authorities are still trying to verify the identities of the 11 victims.

Zuma urged motorists to obey the rules of the road.

He wished the injured a speedy recovery.

Transport Minister Dipuo Peters also sent her condolences to the families.

She said she was shocked by yet another deadly bus accident in less than two weeks.

Last week, 29 people died when a bus, two trucks and another vehicle collided on the notorious Moloto Road in Mpumalanga.

Another person later died in hospital.

Department spokesperson Tiyani Rikhotso directed his comments at public transport drivers, saying, "The lives that you carry with you are worth more than your impatience and your priorities of commercial interest."

At the same time, Limpopo Premier Stanley Mathabatha and Transport MEC Lehlogonolo Masoga visited the injured.

"Today is a very sad day for the people of Limpopo. At an appropriate time, we should be able to make an announcement on the names of those affected individuals after we have contacted their next of kin," Masoga said.