Worst-hit areas receive aid
Thousands of Filipinos in Leyte Province will receive relief aid and much needed medical attention.
PALOMPON, PHILIPPINES - Thousands of Filipinos in Leyte Province will receive relief aid and much needed medical attention for the first time since Typhoon Haiyan made landfall almost two weeks ago.
Non-governmental organisation (NGO) Gift of the Givers arrived in the west coast town of Palompon earlier on Tuesday.
The South African-based group was greeted by hundreds of people desperate for food and shelter.
For the first time since arriving in the country, the Gift of the Givers will finally be able to provide direct medical relief.
They were repeatedly delayed with two cancelled flights and last-minute changes to the mission plan.
Two groups of rescue workers and doctors decided to brave a six-hour boat trip on the Pacific Ocean to reach survivors.
It took the crew four days to reach the Palompon, but team leader Ahmed Bham said the team's spirits remained high.
He and the crew had to protect essential medicine from rough seas and waves that continued to crash on the deck.
Most of the town's infrastructure has been destroyed and many of the residents contracted diseases following the deadly super storm.
The town has a population of 70,000, but only one functioning hospital with one doctor, Maria Andales.
She says many of the ill residents are suffering from respiratory infections.
Hundreds more were injured when the typhoon dropped large pieces of debris onto their homes.
An estimated 70 to 80 percent of structures in the path of the 8 November storm were reduced to wood and rubble.
Nearly 95 percent of the deaths from the typhoon occurred in Leyte and Eastern Samar.
While aid comes into Tacloban, thousands of people are desperate to get out. CNN's Anna Coren reports from the Philippines: