'Construction shouldnt have taken place'

It’s not yet clear what caused the three-storey building in the town of Tongaat to collapse.

Emergency and construction workers among the rubble at the site of a collapsed mall in Tongaat, KwaZulu-Natal, on 19 November 2013. @Mariolungelo/Twitter.

JOHANNESBURG - Construction at a shopping mall in Tongaat in KwaZulu-Natal where a slab of concrete, the size of a soccer field, collapsed on Tuesday killing one person should not have been taking place.

The eThekwini Deputy Mayor Nomvuzo Shabalala said the contractors were taken to court last month and said the council thought they'd stopped building.

The collapsed mall in Tongaat, KwaZulu-Natal, on 19 November 2013. Picture: @DesErasmus1/Twitter.

NetCare 911's Chris Botha said 50 people were believed to be trapped in the rubble.

It's not yet clear what caused the three-storey building to collapse.

Emergency and construction workers among the rubble at the site of a collapsed mall in Tongaat, KwaZulu-Natal, on 19 November 2013. @Mariolungelo/Twitter.

CONFUSION AROUND DEATH TOLL

Meanwhile, earlier there were conflicting reports about the death toll.

Crisis Medical Operations Director Neil Powell said two people died.

But Botha said one person died and 29 people were injured in the collapse.

According to officials it would appear all the injured were construction workers.

The KwaZulu-Natal centre is still under construction.