Brickz to appeal bail decision

The court ruled the Kwaito star posed a flight risk and would likely abscond if granted bail.

FILE: Kwaito star Brickz smiles as he appears in court for his bail hearing on 13 November 2013. Picture: Lesego Ngobeni/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Kwaito star Brickz will appeal a decision by the Roodepoort Magistrates Court to deny him bail, attorney Isaac Mokgobi said on Tuesday.

Brickz, whose real name is Sipho Ndlovu, is accused of raping a 16-year-old in March.

The allegation was only made last month and he was arrested and charged on 1 November.

Magistrate Piet Kotze earlier dismissed Ndlovu's bail application.

He said after carefully considering all the evidence, he was convinced Ndlovu posed a flight risk and would likely abscond if granted bail.

Kotze added there was sufficient evidence the musician could interfere with and threaten state witnesses if released.

The magistrate also noted Ndlovu lied about having a criminal record after it emerged he was arrested for possession of narcotics in 2007.

During the two-week bail hearing, the court was told Ndlovu was a violent person and that he threatened to kill the complainant if she reported the crime.

Mokgobi maintains his client is innocent.

He says they'll now approach the high court because there were discrepancies in the way the state handled the bail application.

"We believe that the high court might come up with a different decision," Mokgobi said.

The musician showed very little emotion during proceedings on Tuesday.

The matter was postponed to December for further investigation.

Meanwhile, the musician is believed to have lost an estimated R3 million in income since being arrested.

Mokgobi said the artist lost the money due to missing out on corporate gigs and other performances as a result of his arrest.