Baby found dead in Diepsloot

It's understood the infant was left by the mother alone overnight.

The seven-month-old infant is believed to have been eaten by rats in Diepsloot on Sunday.

JOHANNESBURG - Another child has been found dead in Diepsloot.

The seven-month-old baby was discovered by community members in a shack early on Sunday.

It's understood the infant was left by the mother alone overnight.

The police's Tsekiso Mofokeng says the baby was attacked by rats.

"The baby was dead with a foot missing. After the investigation the police realised the foot was eaten off by rats."

Police are still searching for the mother.

Two toddlers were killed in the area last month, while another baby was found dead in a stream, causing an outcry over negligence and crimes against children.

Zandile and Yonelisa Mali were raped and murdered and their mutilated bodies were found in a public toilet.

Five men were arrested in connection to the incident but four were later released due to a lack of evidence while the fifth man allegedly confessed.


In another incident police arrested a man in connection to the raping of a three-year-old girl two weeks ago.

The child's mother had allegedly left the child with her father and uncle.

The mother of the three-year-old said when she tried to bathe her daughter she noticed her child was in pain.

As a result the woman's brother-in-law was arrested.


The Western Cape Social Development Department said on Wednesday it will continue to provide support to the family of a nine-month-old baby girl who was raped in Franschhoek.

Social workers visited relatives on Wednesday.

The department's Melany Kuhn said, "This is a very traumatic case. We are in touch with the family and the community and we're available to assist in any way we possibly can."

Two men have since been arrested in connection with the infant's sexual assault and have appeared in the Franschhoek Magistrates Court.

Both men were arrested after the baby girl's mother reported the incident to police on 31 October.

The baby has since gone for a medical examination, which confirmed she was sexually assaulted.

The police's Fredrick van Wyk said, "When the daycare mother wanted to change the baby, she discovered stains on the nappy."