Guptagate: SANDF to decide on prosecution
SANDF will decide whether to prosecute officials involved in the ‘Guptagate’ saga.
PRETORIA - A total of five Air Force officials will on Tuesday find out whether the Defence Force will go ahead and prosecute them for their involvement in the so-called Guptagate saga.
In April, Eyewitness News revealed that a private jet chartered by the Gupta family carrying more than 200 wedding guests landed at the Waterkloof Air Force Base without following normal procedures.
A two-day preliminary hearing took place in Pretoria earlier this month where allegations emerged that President Jacob Zuma was personally aware of the plans for the landing.
The Director of Military Prosecutions has been studying the evidence for nearly a month and will now decide whether there is a case against the five accused.
Defence attorney Pikkie Greeff is confident the matter will not proceed because no evidence was produced indicating that any codes of conduct were breached.
He said two key witnesses, including former chief of state protocol Bruce Koloane and Zuma, were not called to provide evidence at the preliminary hearing.
Greeff said if the matter does proceed he will subpoena Zuma and Koloane
Koloane has already been found guilty of playing a major role in the saga.