Boeremag sentencing resumes

The ten-year trial is said to have cost taxpayers more than R30m in legal aid fees.

Boeremag accused Andre du Toit (left) and his brother accused Mike du Toit in court. Picture: Barry Bateman/EWN.

PRETORIA - Sentencing of 20 men who were found guilty of plotting to overthrow the government in the decade long Boeremag trial will resume on Tuesday.

The men were found guilty in July last year of various crimes including high treason, murder and terrorism for plotting a racist coup.

Monday marked exactly a decade since the first witness took the stand in the trial believed to be the longest-running and most expensive in South African legal history.

The decade-long trial is believed to have cost taxpayers more than R30 million in legal aid fees for the accused.

Judge Eben Jordaan said there would have been a bloodbath if the plans, as detailed in numerous seized documents presented as evidence, were carried out.

He found all the men played a role in varying degrees to illegally overthrow the government.

Jordaan will first conclude dealing with the aggravating facts before handing down the sentences.