Diepsloot murder suspect on the run
A fourth suspect has been taken in for questioning, while another is on the run.
Eyewitness News has learned police have taken in a fourth man for questioning in connection with the double murder of two toddlers in Diepsloot.
Investigators are also searching for a fifth man who is believed to be the main suspect in the crime that has rocked both the Diepsloot community and the nation.
Police report that the main suspect, who fled his home leaving his passport behind, is still on the run.
Community members don't seem to know much about the fifth suspect and have described their neighbour as a solidarity man who didn't participate much in community activities.
It is believed he is the man in the yellow T-shirt who was last seen with the two young girls when they disappeared on Saturday.
Eyewitness News understands he is a foreign national who lived near the crime scene.
It is believed all five suspects live in a small backyard room a few metres from the crime scene.
The bodies of two cousins, two- and three-year-old Zandile and Yonelisa Mali, were discovered in a toilet cubicle on Tuesday.
The toddlers had disappeared on Saturday.
Police are investigating the possibility that the girls had been raped.
There have been plans in progress to build a new station for some time but they have not yet materialised.
The premier says this could soon change.
"We hope there'll be an announcement in due course. It has been a wait that is far too long and creates unnecessary frustration."
Meanwhile, police should soon have a clearer picture of whether a serial killer is on the prowl in Diepsloot.
The murders continue to be met with outrage, including "shock and dismay" from President Jacob Zuma.
At least five members of the police's elite Investigative Psychology Unit were at the crime scene on Tuesday and are now analysing evidence.
The unit has helped detectives on some of the country's most high-profile cases, including the Oscar Pistorius shooting.
National Police Chief Riah Phiyega has also tasked Gauteng Commissioner Lesetja Mothiba to make the case a top priority.
Police spokesperson Solomon Makgale says Phiyega has commissioned a special team to prioritise the investigation into the murders.
"We want to make sure that the people who have done this are brought to book."
Zuma has urged the Diepsloot community not to take the law into their own hands and to work with police in order to make sure those responsible are caught and prosecuted.
Angry residents took to the streets on Tuesday, stoning vehicles, looting foreign-owned shops and burning tyres to obstruct traffic.