Strong quake kills 67 in Philippines

The powerful 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck islands popular with tourists.

The powerful 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck islands popular with tourists. Picture: Sxc.hu.

CEBU CITY, Philippines - A powerful earthquake measuring 7.2 struck islands popular with tourists in the Philippines on Tuesday, killing at least 67 people, some as they prayed in a centuries-old church, and causing widespread damage to infrastructure, officials said.

Low-rise buildings collapsed on at least two islands and historic churches cracked and crumbled during the quake, which sparked panic, cut power and transport links and forced hospitals to evacuate patients.

At least 57 people died in collapsed structures and landslides on the island of Bohol, about 630 km south of the capital, Rey Balido, spokesman for the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, told a briefing at army headquarters.

He said nine others died in Cebu and another on Siquijor Island. Nearly 170 were wounded on Cebu and Bohol islands.

President Benigno Aquino said he would visit earthquake-damaged areas on Wednesday. "Many of the structures there are old," he told reporters after attending the briefing.

The death toll looks bound to rise. Dennis Agustin, Bohol provincial police director, said in a radio interview as many as 77 people had died in 11 towns on the island, much of which was left without power and communications.

Four bridges collapsed and roads cracked, with many declared impassable due to landslides, prompting the authorities to declare a state of calamity in the province, along with Cebu.

Renato Solidum, head of the state seismology agency, said the magnitude 7.2 tremor had struck near Carmen town on Bohol island at 8:12 am (0012 GMT).

The volcanology agency said it was measured at a depth of about 56 km.

GIRL DIES

Hospitals moved patients to open spaces as aftershocks rocked Cebu, a city of about 870,000 people.

The NDRRMC's Balido said at least eight people who had been queuing for government aid payments in Cebu were hurt in a stampede sparked by the earthquake. A four-year-old girl was among them, said Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman.

Archbishop Leonardo Medroso of Tagbilaran city in Bohol said two people were killed by falling debris as they were praying in a church in the town of Loon. The church, Bohol's biggest, dates from 1753.

Airline Cebu Pacific cancelled flights to Cebu and Bohol due to the aftershocks and damage to airports. Ferry services were also suspended.

Television showed the collapsed viewing deck of Bohol's most famous tourist attraction, the Chocolate Hills in Carmen town, which is at the epicentre of the quake.

There were no reports of any foreign tourists among the casualties.

The volcanology agency said it had recorded nearly 300 aftershocks as of 5 pm.

Tens of thousands of people were ordered from their homes when a tsunami warning was issued after an undersea quake in the region in September 2012. One person was killed in that quake, which resulted in only minor damage and small waves.