Booysen trial: Day 3

Anene Booysen’ murder case will continue with an in-loco inspection.

Police keep an eye during Johannes Kana’s court appearance on 7 October 2013. Picture: Renee de Villiers/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The third day of the trial against the man accused of raping and murdering Bredasdorp teenager Anene Booysen, will continue in with an in-loco inspection today.

The accused, Johannes Kana, has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting the 17-year-old, but continues to deny he had anything to do with her murder.

Booysen was raped, mutilated and left for dead at a construction site in February this year in an attack so brutal it sparked outrage throughout the country.

Court proceedings this morning will move to Kallies pub, where a friend who was partying with Kana and Booysen will point out where she last saw the teenager and the accused together.

Witness number four, Christa Mentoor, on Tuesday testified the two were standing outside the establishment at around 2am.

She also told the court that the 17-year-old and her foster mother, Corlia Olivier, had an argument outside the premises before Booysen had left with Kana.

Mentoor testified she initially tried to protect her friend Kana by telling police he walked home with her on the night of the incident.

She later however changed her statement.

But Kana's Lawyer Pieter Du Toit said the visit to the pub will have no impact on the case.

He said there are already photos of the pub and the road Kana and Booysen walked down.

More witnesses, including Booysen's foster mother, are expected to take the stand.


During day two of the trial, Kana's lawyer pointed out apparent discrepancies in statements made by witness number three, Riaan Scheepers, who is a friend of the accused.

Scheepers told the court he saw Kana and the teenager walk away from Kallies pub together at around 2am.

But in a statement, Scheepers indicated the accused did not wear a cap on the night Booysen was attacked, Kana's lawyer quickly pointed out while on the stand on Monday he testified that he did.

He also accused Scheepers of telling the court lies.

"In his first statement he said Kana left with Anene and he was back again 15 minutes later. In his second statement he said Kana left with Anene and he never saw them again."

Du Toit also believes the case should be speeded up.