Carrim denies misleading parliament

In a parliamentary reply last month Carrim said the SABC paid Molefe a R2.4 million settlement.

Communications minister Yunis Carrim. Picture:GCIS

JOHANNESBURG - Communications Minister Yunus Carrim has denied reports of allegedly misleading parliament about former South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Head of News Phil Molefe receiving a payout.

In a parliamentary reply last month Carrim said the SABC paid Molefe a R2.4 million settlement.

However, the Sunday Independent reported that Molefe has filed papers at the South Gauteng High Court accusing the SABC of misleading Carrim into giving parliament incorrect information about his payout.

Molefe has denied accepting a settlement from the national broadcaster following his suspension and is contesting the matter in the Supreme Court of Appeals.

The minister in the meantime insists the SABC did not mislead him.

"The SABC believes that this is an accurate reflection of the situation. Mr Molefe doesn't agree, which makes it a legal matter.

"There is no evidence that anybody deliberately lied to me and I certainly did not lie to parliament because I simply repeated what the SABC said."