Former SABC head's R2.4m payout
Phil Molefe was apparently paid a hefty R2.4 million upon leaving the SABC before his contract expires.
JOHANNESBURG - It's been reported the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC)'s former head of news and current affairs Phil Molefe was paid R2.4 million after leaving the national broadcaster in May this year.
The Sunday Independent has quoted Communications Minister Yunus Carrim, who has apparently said Molefe received a pay-out as his contract was only due to expire in June 2015.
Molefe had been suspended since April last year following controversy about an interview with former African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) leader Julius Malema.
At the time SABC Chief Executive Lulama Mokhobo complained that an ANC representative was not present during the interview.
In court papers Molefe said the ANC was invited but declined due to the disciplinary case against Malema.