Boks beat Wallabies without bonus point

The Springboks beat the Wallabies 28-8 at Newlands on Saturday, but fell one try short of a bonus point.

The Springboks celebrate after scoring a try in their historic win over the Wallabies.

CAPETOWN - The Springboks beat Australia 28-8 after leading 23-3 at half time in the Rugby Championship game at Newlands.

The Boks missed out on what could prove to be a crucial bonus point in the Rugby Championship after only scoring three tries. But the team produced a good performance to convincingly beat the Wallabies.

Fourie du Preez was named man of the match after an excellent game, giving his players quick ball from the breakdown.

Morne Steyn's goal kicking was another positive point for the coach and the flyhalf has now scored more than 600 points in tests.

The game started in typical test match fashion with both side kickers exchanging penalties in the first minutes of the game.

Springbok Captain Jean de Villiers showed his intent early in the game when he turned down an opportunity to go for goal instead of taking the three points. The decision was vindicated as Adriaan Strauss scored moments later after a good lineout win by the Boks.

Less than a minute after that the Boks ran the ball from their own half, with brilliant handling between the backline players , they ran through the Australian defence like a hot knife through butter to send Zane Kirchner over for the Boks' second try.

In 28th minute Jerome Garces sent Michael Hooper to the sin-bin for a dangerous tackle on Eben Etsebeth. Etsebeth seemed to have jumped into the tackle and a yellow card was a harsh decision.

Garces, also a French man, does have a reputation of giving out a lot of yellow cards.

Just before half time Flip van der Merwe was also given ten minutes in the sin-bin for leading with his elbow in a tackle. The decision seemed as harsh as Hooper's yellow card.

The second half was a dull affair compared to the first, but it was also a much better performance by the Wallabies.

The second half took some time to get going and the first major moment of the game was when Duane Vermeulen was shown a yellow card in the 66th minute for lazy running in the Boks' 22m area.

The Springboks had to spend ten more minutes with 14 players.

With no side scoring any points in the first 30mins of the half and with it looking like the four-try bonus point was not going to surface for the Boks, Willie le Roux skilfully managed to keep his body inside the field and went over for the Boks' third try in the right corner of the field.

The try seemed to have set Le Roux alight as he produced some more magic to get the Boks back into Australia's 22m area.

The Boks set up a number of phases but could not convert that pressure into point.

Garces handed out another yellow card, with five minutes to play, to Australian back Timani, making it four cards in the match.

Australian debutant Chris Feauai-Sautia scored a consolation try in the final moments of the game and ultimately also ended the Boks hope of scoring the fourth try for the bonus point.

Springbok Coach Heyneke Meyer will not necessarily be disappointed with the result but certainly would have thought the team deserved the bonus point after being in control for most of the game.