Man killed in shack fire

The fire was reportedly caused by a candle that was left burning overnight.

FILE:Shacks devastated by fire. Picture: EWN

JOHANNESBURG - A man has died in a shack fire in the Zamimpilo informal settlement near Riverlea in the south of Johannesburg.

It's believed the fire was caused by a candle that was left burning overnight.

Johannesburg Emergency Management Services spokesman Robert Mulaudzi said the blaze destroyed a number of shacks in the area and left eight people homeless.

"Around six shacks were destroyed when one of them caught fire earlier this morning. In the process, one male died and was burnt beyond recognition."

Meanwhile, a shack fire earlier this month left a couple dead in the Kya Sand informal settlement northwest of Johannesburg.

The blaze destroyed around 70 shacks and displaced around 150 people.