R1bn set aside for EC health

Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi says a total of 287 projects will be carried out across the province.

Minister of Health Aaron Motsoaledi. Picture: GCIS/SAPA

PRETORIA - Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi on Thursday announced a massive refurbish and building programme to address the collapse of the Eastern Cape health system.

Last week, the province's Health Coalition released a damning report titled Death and Dying in the Eastern Cape, which exposed the extent of the failed system in the region.

The project will focus on the OR Tambo District Municipality, which was found to be the worst in the province.

Motsoaledi says of the eight clinics that will be completely demolished, five will be rebuilt in this financial year.

A further two hospitals will be demolished and built from scratch.

Where additional space is needed at clinics, the department will deploy scientifically designed mobile units.

To address training shortfalls, Motsoaledi says two nursing colleges will be refurbished to full functionality.

The minister says a total of 287 projects will be carried out across the province at a cost of about R1 billion.