Ceres rape suspect to apply for bail

The man accused of abducting and raping two children in Ceres will apply for bail.

The man accused of abducting and raping two children in Ceres intends applying for bail. Picture: EWN

CAPE TOWN - The 25-year-old farmworker accused of sexually assaulting two children in Ceres is expected back in court today.

The man was arrested in August for allegedly raping a seven-year-old boy and a four-month-old baby girl.

It's alleged the man entered a wendyhouse where the children were asleep, snatched the baby and the boy, took them to a nearby vineyard and sexually assaulted them.

The suspect will make his third appearance in the Ceres Magistrate's Court where he intends applying for bail.

He faces charges of rape and abduction.

After the suspect's first court appearance the Ceres Community Policing Forum said the man's safety cannot be guaranteed, should he be granted bail.

Meanwhile, doctors at the Red Cross Children's Hospital said on Monday they will continue to monitor the baby girl's condition after she was discharged from hospital late last month.

She underwent five medical procedures and spent nearly a month recovering in hospital.