City Power vow to resolve power issue
More than 30,000 JHB residents were left without power for up to four days last week.
JOHANNESBURG - City Power has called on Johannesburg residents who still don't have electricity to report the problem immediately.
The utility won't back down on its plan to implement a new shift system despite employees embarking on an illegal strike last week.
The unprotected mass action resulted in more than 30,000 residents in various suburbs across Johannesburg being left without electricity, some for four days.
City Power has accused the striking workers of sabotage, claiming they deliberately switched off the power.
Power has since been restored to the vast majority of areas and only a few isolated outages are being dealt with today.
The utility's Louis Pieterse says most of the outages were restored by Saturday.
"Since then we've just been dealing with a few small things on those supplies and new power failures that came up."
Pieterse said it's possible some areas might still not have electricity.
"In some cases we had to work outside our outage management system and even outside our normal processes so it is possible that some people may still not have electricity."
City Power's Managing Director Sicelo Xulu vowed on Saturday that Johannesburg residents will no longer bear the brunt of the issue.
"We have control in terms on engagement with the structures that are recognised. We'll have to talk to employees that are disgruntled about why they are acting outside the mandate."
An investigation is still underway to identify the culprits responsible for sabotaging the power grid.
The City of Johannesburg has promised it will leave no stone unturned as it views these acts in a very serious light.