Power on but strike continues

More than 30,000 residents in various Johannesburg suburbs were left without electricity.

City Power logo.  Picture: City Power

JOHANNESBURG - City Power said on Saturday, the strike was not yet over as some workers were not adhering to the standby weekend roster.

It said all power has now been restored to areas in Johannesburg affected by the strike, including former President Nelson Mandela's home in Houghton.

Residents in some suburbs are reporting power outages this morning although it's unclear if this is related to the industrial action.

More than 30,000 residents in various suburbs were left without electricity, some for four days after City Power workers downed tools on Wednesday.

Workers are angry about a new shift system that is yet to be implemented.

The utility has also accused striking workers of sabotage, claiming they've deliberately switched off the power.

City Power's Sicelo Xulu said disgruntled workers have stopped picketing and had gone back to work during the day but are still refusing to work after hours.

"We're actually giving them notice up until August, for them to adhere to the standby roster. Then we will start disciplinary action."

Meanwhile, some Johannesburg residents were without water. Joburg Water said this is due to a burst pipe.

Some areas have been without water for more than two days. The affected areas include Glenhazel, Lyndhurhust, Corlett Gardens and Kew.

One woman said she had been trying to contact Joburg Water but had failed to get any assistance.