ANC suspends seven WC members

The seven members cannot take part in ANC meetings or speak on its behalf.

The City of Cape Town alleges that Sibusiso Zonke was behind the so-called poo wars. Picture: Carmel Loggenberg/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The Western Cape ANC on Tuesday said it has temporarily suspended seven of its members for bringing the party into disrepute.

Four of them are included on a list of those allegedly responsible for Cape Town's so-called toilet wars.

Sithembele Majova, Bongani Ngcombolo, Bongile Zanazo and controversial ANC councillor Loyiso Nkohla are among the 11 alleged ringleaders identified by Western Cape Premier Helen Zille last week.

However, the ANC dismissed Zille's video footage saying she could not identify its members.

It also accused Zille of trying to deflect from the issue of sanitation.

ANC spokesperson Cobus Grobler says, "They will remain suspended until disciplinary proceedings against them have been concluded."

Over the past few months, the province has been rocked by the so-called poo wars where people use human waste as a form of protest.

There have been various incidents of human waste being dumped on Cape Town's highways, at the Western Cape Legislature and at the airport.

Over 100 people are expected to return to court later in September for dumping human waste.