Raped Ceres baby still in hospital

The four-month-old girl and a seven-year-old boy were sexually assaulted in the farming town.

The four-month-old girl and a seven-year-old boy were sexually assaulted in the farming town. Picture: Renee de Villiers/ EWN

CAPE TOWN - The Red Cross Children's' Hospital said on Wednesday doctors have yet to make a decision on when the four-month old girl, who was raped in Ceres earlier this month, will be discharged.

The infant and a seven-year-old boy were sexually assaulted in the farming town, allegedly by a 25-year-old farmworker who has since been arrested.

The baby has already undergone five surgeries since the attack.

The hospital's Lauren O'Connor-May said, "She's doing well and is in a stable condition. The doctors are still discussing a discharge date, which has not yet been confirmed."

The suspect made his second appearance in the Ceres Magistrate's Court last week.

However, it appears there's a delay in the investigation.

The case was initially postponed until last week to give officials time to obtain outstanding DNA tests and witness statements and the accused was also due to stand in an identification parade.

The state told the court the seven-year-old victim was still receiving trauma counselling and they were awaiting a report from a forensic psychologist before the identification parade could take place.

The accused faces charges of rape and abduction and his bail hearing is expected to be heard on 11 September.