Motlanthe addresses Men's Rally

The deputy president says men need to voice their opposition to gender based violence.

Men take part in the National Men's Rally at the Johannesburg Stadium on 24 August 2013. Picture: Reinart Toerien/EWN

PRETORIA - Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe on Saturday called on men to be active in the fight against gender based violence.

Motlanthe was addressing the National Men's Rally at the Johannesburg Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The event aims at addressing issues of violence and abuse against women and children.

Under the theme of "Not in My Name" Motlanthe addressed a fairly empty stadium.

He said gender inequality was a huge stumbling block in fighting women and child abuse.

He added only if men helped defeat stereotypes and classification of women and children can the scourge of violence truly be stopped.

"If we take refugee behind culture, we will then perpetuate gender based violence."

After his address, Motlanthe was joined by minister of Women, Children and People with Disabilities Lulu Xingwana and Johannesburg Executive Mayor Parks Tau in signing a pledge promising no form of violence against women and children will be done in their name.

As the country nears the end of Women's Month several incidents of violence against women have been reported throughout the country.

Earlier this month, a 35-year-old police officer shot and killed his wife and turned the gun on himself in Kagiso in Johannesburg.

In another incident in Cape Town, an officer was arrested for allegedly shooting and killing his wife.

The constable allegedly shot his wife at their home during a domestic dispute.