Firefighters extinguish Alexandra shack fire
At least 50 shacks caught fire and burnt to the ground in township, north of Johannesburg.
JOHANNESBURG - Firefighters have managed to put out a massive blaze, which burnt at least 50 shacks to the ground in Alexandra this morning.
At least one man has suffered burn wounds and has been taken to hospital.
It's understood the fire started in his shack this morning and was sparked by a stove, which had been left on.
Residents are trying to salvage what they can from the burnt remains of their homes, while firefighters are still on the scene looking for clues as to what exactly happened.
Johannesburg Emergency Management Service's Robert Mulaudzi says, "Disaster management officials are on site to start facilitating the process of relief and accommodation, if there's a need for us to do that."