Ceres rape suspect back in court

The suspect is accused of sexually assaulting a four-month-old baby girl & a boy (7).

The Ceres Magistrates Court. Picture: Renee de Villiers/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The Ceres farmworker accused of raping a four-month-old baby girl and a seven-year-old boy in the little farm town earlier this month will appear in court today.

It's alleged the man entered a wendy house where the children were asleep and snatched the baby and the boy. He then took them to a nearby vineyard where he raped them both.

The 25-year-old suspect was arrested a week ago.

This will be his second appearance in the Ceres Magistrate's Court , where he is now facing charges of rape and abduction. It is unclear whether he will apply for bail.

Last week the Ceres Community Policing Forum said the suspect's safety cannot be guaranteed should he be granted bail.

BABY GIRL STABLE

The Red Cross Children's Hospital on Thursday said the baby girl remains in a stable condition.

The four-month-old underwent a fifth surgery a week ago as a result of the incident.

The hospital's Lauren O'Connor-May said it was too soon to tell when the little girl would be discharged.

"The baby is in stable condition, doctors say she's unlikely to be discharged this week."

Meanwhile, the mother of the seven-year-old boy told Eyewitness News that she knows the suspect.

She said she was a friend of his mother's.