Report on Alex fire to be released
Emergency services say a report into the cause of the massive fire will be out by this afternoon.
ALEXANDRA - Johannesburg Emergency Medical Services (EMS) says they'll release a report on Friday afternoon into the cause of the fire in Alexandra which gutted over 30 shacks during the early hours of the morning.
Earlier reports claimed at least 50 shacks had been burnt, but the official number has been confirmed as just over 30.
Residents are still salvaging what's left of their belongings following the blaze which is believed to have been sparked by an unattended stove.
EMS spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi says only one person was injured.
"It is believed that there was one lady who twisted her ankle while she was running. There were no other reports of injuries or any deaths."
But eyewitnesses alleged the owner of the shack where the stove was left on was slightly burned, but immediately abandoned the area.
Residents claimed his shack caught fire at around 7am, but the fire worsened as firefighters only arrived two hours after they had been called.
There are also claims that passerbys looted from the damaged homes.
Mulaudzi says the city will be assisting those left homeless.
"We're looking at relief in terms of blankets, food parcels and so forth and also looking at whether there will be a need for us to accommodate them up until they can come back to where they were before."