Safety in Manenberg should be sustained
WC ANC says it hopes new safety measures in gang-stricken Manenberg schools can be continual.
CAPE TOWN - The African National Congress (ANC) in the Western Cape said on Tuesday it hopes Cape Town safety and security authorities can sustain plans to protect Manenberg schools and residents.
All 14 schools in the gang-riddled area were closed for two days last week due to ongoing violence.
Additional law enforcement including police and traffic officials have since been deployed to the area.
On Monday police raids were also conducted in the area and a few arrests were made.
But ANC leader in the Western Cape, Marius Fransman, said these types of operations need to be sustained.
He believes if the Western Education Department can spend millions on school closures, the same resources need to be used on public safety.
"They spent millions on a legal case. It's clear that they can make sure there's full security at most of our Cape Flats and township schools."
Manenberg schools reopened this week and while the Education Department has reported there's been a spike in learner attendance, Manenberg residents and school children are not convinced things in the gang-infested area are going to get better.
Many of them say these actions by authorities are too little too late.